Chapter: “Birolleau family”

Who were the people behind F.G.B.C.?

(F.G.B.C. produced “pierre La Lune”, “Special Stone only for Good Razors”, “New Master Stone”, …)
(Published, 

Chapters:


IMPORTANT:
If you want to use information of this site,
please use a link to my page instead of copying parts of my pages.
In that way the information will be the most up-to-date!
Please also read  “About” & “F.G.B.C., Introduction”
You can copy the URL or use this link to use on forums and such:
Who were the people behind “F.G.B.C.”
“Birolleau family”

Chapter: “Birolleau family”

The following is gathered from different sources:

  1. geneanet.org Link; “Jean Yves THIRIET” (jytbou) Link
  2. geneanet.org Link; Les Familles de Vacqueville” Link
  3. cimetieres-de-France.fr” Link:
(just click on each name to open a direct link to the site)

Victor BIROLEAUD
°22/12/1831 – †24/09/1914, wholesale wine merchant,
parents: Jean-Baptiste BIROLLEAU & Jeanne Agathe MOUNIER,
married 17/3/1862 Marguerite PRUNEAUD (°1841 – †1873).

One of their children was:

Antonin BIROLLEAU
°4/5/1863, Sainte-Feyre, 23193, FRANCE – †1938,
He lived in Bourg-du-Bost where he married
8/12/1894 Marie Louise THIRIET (°1869 – †1954);

They had 4 sons, born at Vacqueville, Meurthe-et-Moselle, Lorraine:

Jules BIROLLEAU
(°09/12/1895 – †?)

Emile BIROLLEAU
(°15/09/1897 – †?)

Louis BIROLLEAU
(°1899 – †1900)

Maurice BIROLLEAU
(°16/12/1904 – †1986)


1894

Antonin BIROLLEAU
He was administrator and master of the quarries of Merviller-Vacqueville.
The sandstone quarry of Birolleau in Merviller (54) produced Baccarat crystal.
The employers’ house was situated in Vacqueville (château Biroleau)


 1896/ 24 January or November

The following is gathered from different sources:
  1. genetk.overblog.comLes tailleurs de pierre” Link,
    Published 16 March 2013 by “Jean-Yves THIRIET
  2. merviller-autrefois.blogspot.be/
    Merviller-village de Lorraine
    ” Link1Link2
  3. geneanet.org /Jean Yves THIRIET” (jytbou) Link

A documented offer of 40.000 “French frank” for the maintenance of roads tells us that

“A. Birolleau”, residing at Vacqueville, was exploiting sandstone quarries at muschelkack.

There are traces, after this date, leading to a factory/assembly of grinding stones
“GHELFI & BIROLLEAU” at “7, rue Charlot, Paris”

Information is also found about a pink stone of the Vosges:

Following note is a citation found on:
  1. merviller-autrefois.blogspot.be/
    Merviller-village de Lorraine
    ” Link1Link2
  2. genetk.overblog.comLes tailleurs de pierre” Link,
    Published 16 March 2013 by “Jean-Yves THIRIET”
“NOTA: J’ai été en relation avec un chercheur de “l’institut du globe de Strasbourg” qui m’a indiqué que la pierre rose des VOSGES c’est formé a l’époque désertique. C’est a dire ou la campagne lorraine ressemblait a l’actuel sahara, sable très fin qui sous l’influence de la chaleur et de l’oxyde de fer c’est solidifié pour former une pierre au grain très fin fournissant de remarquables meules à aiguiser les outillages expédiés par wagons dans la France entière”
“NOTE: I have been in contact with a researcher from the “l’institut du globe de Strasbourg” who told me that the pink stone of the Vosges was formed in the “desert period”. That is to say, the “Lorraine area” resembled the current sahara; very fine sand, which under the influence of heat and iron oxide was solidified to form a very fine grain stone providing remarkable grinding-, sharpening tools, which were shipped throughout France

Link


 1897
(Update, Okt. 2016)

An anonymous company was in charge of the quarries Merviller-Vacqueville

(gallica.bnf.fr Link , Annuaire-almanach du commerce, de l’industrie,
de la magistrature… Link)

“Meules en grès:”Société anonyme des carrieres de Merviller-Vacqueville”
Meules à aiguiser blanches et rouges de tous grains et de toutes dimensions.
Grès pour menuisiers. Barils pour corroyeurs. – Pierres à polir le marbre, etc., rue Ganneron, 6″
“Sandstone grinding wheels:
“Anonymous company of the quarries Merviller-Vacqueville”
Grindstones white and red all grains and sizes. – Stoneware for woodworkers.
Barrels for tanners. – Stone marble polishing, etc., Ganneron Street, 6″

Link


1904/ 9 August:

Birolleau (Antonin) became Knighted

(gallica.bnf.fr Link , Journal officiel de la République française…1904/08/09)

“Birolleau (Antonin), industriel à Vacqueville (Meurthe-et-Moselle):
travaux de reboisement; 20 ans de pratique agricole”
“Birolleau (Antonin), industrialist at Vacqueville (Meurthe-et-Moselle):
reforestation; 20 years of agricultural practice”

Link


1911/ 16 July:

(http://www.kiosque-lorrain.fr Link, Est républicain 16-07-11)

“Vacqueville”
“INCENDIE. – Un incendie dont la cause est inconnue s’est déclaré vers une heure du matin, au hameau des Carrières, dans la fabrique de meules, appartenant à M. Antonin Birolleau. Le bâtiment, construit en planches, a été entièrement détruit, malgré les secours apportés par les pompiers de Vacqueville et Merviller.
Les pertes, évaluées à 13.500 Fr., sont couvertes par l’assurance.”
 “Vacqueville”
“FIRE. – A fire of unknown cause broke out around one o’clock in the neighbourhood of the quarries, in the factory of grinding stones, belonging to Mr. Antonin Birolleau. The building, built of planks, was completely destroyed, despite the aid given by firefighters of Vacqueville and Merviller. The losses, estimated at 13,500 F,
are covered by insurance. “

Link


1912 – 1913

or earlier, as previous mentioned, we begin to see:

“F.Ghelfi & Cie”
“Maisons F.Ghelfi & Cie Birolleau réunies”
(or F.G.B.C.)

for example on post cards which says:

“Manufacture et Montage de Meules & Pierres a Aiguiser & a Polir”
“F. Ghelfi & Cie”
“Maisons F.Ghelfi & Cie Birolleau réunies”
“7, Rue Charlot, Paris”

First in Rue Charlot 7,
later also in Rue de Saintonge, 47, Paris (since 1922 or earlier).

The “maisons” or “houses / etablishments” of
“F.Ghelfi & cie” and “Birolleau” became united, this between 1908-1912,
since the previously mentioned court trial only speaks of
“F.Ghelfi & Cie”, without “Birolleau


1916/ 8 Mai
(private collection):

Around 1916 or earlier, the name changed:

“Maisons F.Ghelfi & Cie Birolleau réunies”
into
“Maisons Birolleau & F.Ghelfi & Cie réunies”!

“Manufacture & montage de meules & pierres a aiguiser et a polir”
“F.Ghelfi & Cie”
“Maisons Birolleau & F.Ghelfi & Cie réunies”
“7, Rue Charlot, Paris”

Usine à vapeur (steam plant): Merviller-Vacqueville
(Meurthe-et-moselle)

 Carrières en exploitation (quarries):

La Nouvelle, La Voûte, La Parisienne
(Gare Merviller – Vacqueville)

Neufmaisons, La Bouloye
(Gare Pexonne)

Bréménil- Bas, Bréménil-Haut, La Parisienne
(Gare Badonviller)

1916 F.Ghelfi


1922/ 21 April
(private collection):

Around this time, the firm had an extra building,
located at “47, Rue de Saintonge”
(annexe, aside to “7, Rue Charlot”):

“Manufacture & montage de meules & pierres a aiguiser et a polir”
“F.Ghelfi & Cie”
“Maisons Birolleau & F.Ghelfi & Cie réunies”

Ateliers, bureaux & magasins
“47, Rue de Saintonge, Paris”
(Annexe “7, Rue Charlot”)

1922 F.Ghelfi


Later on we will see that “Birolleau” 
eventually controlled and owned the entire company.
Maybe these name changes are a sign that at a quite early stage Birolleau” became more and more important in the company. (Maybe between 1922 – 1925)


In the course of the years there were more changes,
seen on different documents:

1925/ 12 December
(private collection):

“F.Ghelfi & Cie & Birolleau réunies”
“F.Ghelfi & Cie” – “Anciens établissements”

1925 F.Ghelfi

The names changed back again with “F.Ghelfi & Cie” standing first
(in comparison to the documents 1916, 1922, chapter “Ghelfi family”).

I believe this could be a sign that “F.Ghelfi et cie” was taken over…

 The very explicit usage of the term “Anciens établissements” or
“ancient establishment” means that the formerly company, consisting of the united companies “F.Ghelfi et cie” and “Birolleau” had ceased to exist.

 On this paper of 1925, it isn’t clear who owned the establishment…


1925-1938

It gets even more interesting, especially because in some directories of 1925, 1935 and 1938 only the name “Birolleau” is used, and not “F. Ghelfi & Cie“:

1925:

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkAnnuaire industriel. Répertoire général de la production française Link)
Link1Link2Link3


1935:

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkAnnuaire industriel. Répertoire général de la production française Link)
Link1Link2


1938:

(gallica.bnf.fr LinkAnnuaire industriel. Répertoire général de la production française Link)
Link1Link2Link3Link4

 

Birolleau sold sandstones, grinding- , sharpening stones,… at:

“47, Rue de Saintonge, Paris”

“Birolleau, 47, r. de Saintonge, Paris …”
“Usine à Merviller-Vacqueville”
“Meules et pierres à aiguiser et à polir…”

The fact that some directories of 1925 – 1938 only mention “Birolleau“,
and not “F.Ghelfi & Cie“, leads to the assumption that Birolleau was the owner

Ghelfi Valentin was noted in these directories, but like previous explained,
he separated himself from “F.Ghelfi & Cie

A bit confusingly, a directory of agricultural engineering, 1926, has
NO mentioning of “Birolleau“, but does have one of “Ghelfi & cie“!

‪(https://books.google.be/books, “Le Génie rural”,Volumes 19-20, 1926, Link)

“Ghelfi & Cie” (Anc. Etabl.), 47. r. Saintonge, Paris

When noticing the usage of (Anc. Etabl.) or “Anciens établissements”, one can imagine
that this is in fact the company name, just as seen on the invoices of 1925
(with the “F.” missing though).

This could make sense, the other directories (1925-1938) can therefore be interpreted as “Birolleau”, owner of “Birolleau, 47, r. de Saintonge”, and maybe also owner of
“(F.) Ghelfi & cie” (ancien établissements)

The solely mentioning of “Ghelfi et cie” is also seen
in a yearly universal directory of the car industry, 1928-1929;

(https://books.google.be/books,
“L’Annual”: annuaire universel de l’industrie automobile, 1928-1929, Link)

“GHELFI et cie”, meules en grès,
“7, rue Charlot. et 47, rue de Saintonge, Paris”
“Tél. Archives 15-41”

 1931/ 21 Mai
(private collection):

The next document shows the proof that around 1931 or earlier,
Birolleau owns the firm:

“Anciens établissements”
“F.Ghelfi & Cie”
“Birolleau Fils, propriétaires”

1931 F.Ghelfi 1


“Birolleau FILS, propriétaireS” (sons, owners)
means that “Birolleau” owned the company.
It wasn’t Antonin BIROLLEAU who owned it
(the father who died a few years later, 1938),

it were his sons who controlled the business;
that would be 
Maurice BIROLLEAU (see further) ,
and 1 or 2 of his brothers, being  Jules BIROLLEAU
and/or
 Emile BIROLLEAU (not Louis BIROLLEAU,
since he died young, °1899 – †1900)

 A document of 1933 again refers to the ancient establishment,
by using old titles as:

“Birolleau & F.Ghelfi & Cie réunies”, “F.Ghelfi & cie”
and
“Anciens établissements F.Ghelfi & Cie”

It also explicitly shows: “Birolleau, propriétaires” (=owners)

As previously mentioned,the sons Birolleau were the ones in control


1933/ 30 October
(private collection):

“Manufacture & montage de meules & pierres a aiguiser et a polir”
“F.Ghelfi & Cie”
“Birolleau & F.Ghelfi & Cie réunies”
“Anciens établissements F.Ghelfi & Cie”
“Birolleau, propriétaires”

“Ateliers, bureaux & magasins: 47, Rue de Saintonge, Paris”
“(Annexe 7, Rue Charlot)

1933 F.Ghelfi


So, it could very well be that there was a transition of ownership 
between 1922-1925…

 If that is the case, it is interesting to see that the name “F.Ghelfi & Cie” continued to exist, even at the time that it is absolutely clear that Birolleau was the owner


1952/ 11Juin
(private collection):

Pierre “La Lune”
“F.G.B.C.”

“Nouvelle Société des Anciens Etablissements”
(new society of ancient institutions)
“F.Ghelfi, Birolleau & Cie”
“47, Rue de Saintonge, Paris”

“Meules et pierres à aiguiser et à polir”

“Usines & CARRIERES”:

La Nouvelle, La Voûte, La Parisienne
(Gare Merviller – Vacqueville)
Neufmaison, La Bouloye
(Gare Pexonne)
Bréménil- Bas, Bréménil-Haut, La Parisienne
(Gare Badonviller)

 “pierres à faulx naturelles façon Lombarde La Lune”
(Natural scythe stones “style Lombarde” La Lune)

1952 F.Ghelfi, Birolleau & Cie

The correspondence was signed by “Maurice Birolleau” (°1904 – †1986).
“Birolleau” kept owning the business, the name “F.Ghelfi” stayed…


1968

A document / advertisement of 1968 is showing the name “Birolleau”,
standing separately above the trademark:

1968 Schermafbeelding Birolleau


1985/ 12 Mai

 An envelope, stamped 1985/ 12 Mai shows that the name
F.Ghelfi” 
keeps on standing aside to “Birolleau“:

“Nouvelle société des anciens établissements”
“F.Ghelfi, Birolleau & Cie”
“47, Rue de Saintonge – 75003 Paris”
“Meules et pierres à aiguiser et à polir”

Along with a nice phrase:

“les pierres X Y Z passent”
“les pierres “La Lune” repassent…”
“The stones X Y Z succeeds”
“The stones “La Lune” exceeds…”

Courtesy of Sebastian of “razorlovestones.com“:

1985 Envelop F.G.B.C. - Sebastian

1985 Envelop F.G.B.C. 2- Sebastian.png



Around 2007,..

  1. http://french-leader.com Link
  2. http://french-corporate.com Link1Link2
  3. http://edecideur.mobi Link
  4. http://www.societe.com Link

By investigating these links we can see that: 

Nouvelle Société des Anciens Etablissements F. Ghelfi, Birolleau et Cie
or
Nouvelle Société des Anciens Etablissements F. Ghelfi, Birolleauet Cie” ,

 established on 1957/ 28 December, continued to exist as a “Société à responsabilité limitée”
(S.A.R.L. = Limited liability company), 
with headquarters address:

“5 rue de Douai, Paris”
(since 2007 or earlier)


 2011/ 23 July

Gachnochi Georges (°24/10/1940) was running the business

 Somewhere before 2007, the company changed their activities

It had become a wholesale business (trade from business to business)
of various industrial supplies and equipment
 

They supplied miscellaneous industrial equipment like: wholesale of aerodynamic devices such as fans, air conditioners, machinery and equipment for air conditioning; technical articles in rubber and plastic; other machinery and equipment used in industry; non-electrical equipment road signs; transport equipment other than motor vehicles, cycles and motorcycles; robots for assembly lines;…


2011/ 10 November

headquarters address moved to
156, rue de Tolbiac, 2nd floor right”


 2014/ 23 November

Gachnochi George became liquidator of the company,
he was appointed to wind up the affairs of the company…

 The last known establishment, known as
Nouvelle Société des Anciens Etablissements F. Ghelfi, Birolleau et Cie
closed on 22-11-2014… 

The presence of F.Ghelfi is not totally disappeared yet, as this boutique shows on:

“47, Rue de Saintonge, Paris”  

“ISABEL MARANT” Link
BOUTIQUES Link

Isabel Marant

Link


⇐ Previous chapter: “Ghelfi family”
⇒ Next chapter: “Demosthènes, Malaspinas”

 

Advertisements
This entry was posted in 3 "Birolleau family". Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s